A Vignette is a form of road pricing imposed on vehicles as a compulsory road tax, based on the time the vehicle may be used on the road. Vignettes are coloured stickers that need to be affixed to the front window of the vehicle. The Vignette system is different from road tolls which are based on distance travelled.
Vignettes are required for driving along certain roads, like motorways, in the following European countries: Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland and Austria. If you are caught driving in any of these countries without a vignette you will run the risk of being fined by the local authorities.
To purchase the Vignette for your trip, we advise you to stay always informed and update yourself about its regulation and prices. Here you can find some examples of where you can purchase the Vignette for your trip.
- Bulgaria - https://www.bgtoll.bg/en/e-vignette or offline points of sale at common places
- Czech Republic - http://www.motorway.cz/ stickers or petrol pumps, branches of the Czech Post, branches Cash Point, some establishments ABA or labelled points
- Hungary - https://ematrica.nemzetiutdij.hu/
- Moldova - https://evinieta.gov.md/
- Slovakia - https://eznamka.sk/selfcare/purchase/ or petrol stations, branches of Slovakia post
- Slovenia - https://www.dars.si/Vignette_system/Points_of_sale usually at border crossings, gas stations and some other places for motorists and tourists.
As Indie Campers, we have already purchased the Vignette for our customers only in:
- Switzerland: https://www.tolls.eu/switzerland
- Austria: https://www.tolls.eu/austria
Only in Switzerland and Austria, you can ask for it during the pick-up of your van or purchase it yourself at the gas station, border crossings and other outlets that we can then refund. Vignettes improperly used or lost will not be eligible to be refunded.